As soon a the weather drops and I’m forced to wear a jacket, I get sad. Instead of admiring the changing leaf-colours and the return of pumpkin beer, I am preoccupied by the feeling of impending doom. Winter is coming. Last year, it was only bearable because we finally took a sun vacation so when the holidays were over, we at least had a trip to look forward to. Some break from the horror of January’s long days and February’s windchill. Not this winter. We spoiled ourselves too early in the year and the vacation budget is overspent. We do have a trip planned in December, but that's before the holidays so it doesn't count. There will be no break this year and so, to overcome the winter misery, I vow to find some ways to embrace the season.
Here are some ideas so far:
- Make Prune’s three-rum punch (it takes 3 weeks) - Started this last week! See pic above.
- Stick to a regular exercise routine - toughest one
- Eat at Big Crow at least once because it’s the best in the winter - enjoy the smell of firewood clinging to clothes, wrap warm blanket around me while I eat poke
- Follow the Raptors and hope they have a season like the Jays, watch them regardless
- Go snowshoeing
- Book the Dufferin Grove campfire for a winter evening, roast chestnuts